3 Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Law In Moorhead, MN

by | Sep 26, 2019 | Lawyers

Latest Articles



The most important thing people need to know when they’re charged with a crime is that they still have rights. Unfortunately, most people are not aware of what those rights actually are, which makes them ill-equipped to protect themselves when they are being questioned, searched, or arrested. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about Criminal Law Moorhead MN.

Is It Okay To Speak To A Police Officer Without An Attorney?

Law enforcement officers use many different strategies to get people to talk, including making misleading statements. Officers may suggest that they have evidence proving the person guilty, and they may threaten an arrest if the person refuses to answer questions. However, attorneys at Aaland Law Firm advise their clients to use their right to remain silent because their words can easily be misinterpreted, taken out of context, and used against them.

Do Police Officers Have The Right To Search A Home Or Vehicle?

Unless they have a warrant, police officers cannot search a property or vehicle without permission from the owner. However, sometimes, police officers will pressure people to allow a search. According to criminal defense attorneys, it is always best to refuse a search and let the police officer request a warrant from the judge. If an officer attempts to conduct a search without a warrant, any evidence he or she finds can be thrown out of court.

Is It Better To Plead Guilty Or Not Guilty?

When a person feels confident that he or she is innocent, it is natural to plead not guilty. However, some people consider themselves guilty or at least partly responsible for a crime and feel that a guilty plea is more honest. Criminal defense attorneys generally counsel their clients to plead not guilty no matter what.

The legal system is designed to provide defendants the opportunity to plead their case. A judge may hear the case and give a reduced sentence even if the jury finds the person guilty. With a guilty plea, however, the judge may assign the maximum sentence automatically.

People can protect themselves and their rights by hiring an attorney. Visit us website to learn more about Criminal Law Moorhead MN.

Similar Articles