$871 million have gone to medical malpractice settlements alone in the last decade, says the Daily Caller. This is a staggering figure and a monumental waste of funds. The article further states that settlement payments have already reached an all-time high and the numbers are only going to get worse, based on available data.
And while the medical industry and the government are finding ways to solve the problem, it’s up to you to protect yourself from a medical malpractice.
In addition, Millennial Magazine reports that the Journal of the American Medical Association, or JAMA, says that medical negligence is the third one on the list of leading causes of death in the country, with heart disease and cancer on top. With 3 billion spent in malpractice payouts, that’s about one payout in every 43 minutes.
4 Major Types of Patient Deaths
- Errors resulting from a wrong action taken, such a nicking a vein or internal organs during a surgery, one that could lead to an infection.
- Errors that resulted from the decided lack of any helpful action, often seen in cases where medication or treatment was withheld.
- Errors resulting from the doctor’s failure to provide thorough instructions to the patient or another physician overseeing the case of the patient.
- Errors in diagnoses, which leads to the wrong, delayed or ineffective treatment and aggravates the patient’s condition, severely limiting the patient’s chances of survival.
If you or someone you care about becomes a victim of medical negligence, take steps to ensure you get the treatment and coverage you need. Hire a medical malpractice lawyer in Dupage County to get the legal assistance you need. With legal representation, you can look forward to the following benefits:
- Have help every step of the way. Don’t understand a clause or phrase? Your legal representative can easily explain it to you so you know and understand what’s happening.
- Hear regular updates. Can’t make it to the hearing just yet? With your lawyer, you’re sure to hear about any new developments in the case.
- Faster processing. Filing a claim can be confusing, with plenty of steps and details to take note of. With a lawyer, though, filing that claim is quick and easy.
These are just a few of the advantages of hiring a lawyer. So when you or a loved become a victim of medical negligence, don’t waste time. You know what to do.
Woodruff Johnson & Palermo offers personal injury services to you and your loved ones. Call us for more details.